Thursday, January 27, 2011

My first new recipe of the year...

I wanted to start with something easy and something I knew my girls would probably eat. So I made a Taco Meatball Ring. This recipe yields 8 servings and can be used as an appetizer or meal.

Ingredients:

2 cups (8 oz) shredded cheddar cheese, divided. (I shred my own cheese b/c I like it better.)
2 Tbsp water
2-4 Tbsp taco seasoning (I used an entire small packet of seasoning)
1/2 lb ground beef (I used a whole pound b/c I wanted bigger meatballs)
2 tubes (8 oz each) refrigerated crescent rolls
shredded lettuce
tomato chopped
green onions sliced
olives sliced (we didn't have any so I did not include these in my recipe)
sour cream
salsa, optional
(It also calls for 2 small jalapeno peppers, seeded and sliced, but I don't like jalapenos, so I excluded them)




 


In a bowl, combine 1 cup cheese, water and taco
seasoning
Crumble beef over mixture and mix well

Shape into 16 balls. Place 1 inch apart in an ungreased 15 in x10 in x 1 in baking pan (I used a cake pan). Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees for 12-15 min, or untiil meat is no longer pink.








Drain meatballs on paper towels.








Reduce heat to 375 degrees.

Unroll crescent roll dough and separate into triangle. Place triangles on a 14 in pizza pan, forming a ring with pointed ends facing outer edge of pan and wide ends overlapping. Lightly press wide ends together.










Place a meatball on each roll; fold point over meatball and tuck under wide end of roll (meatballs will be visible).






.



Bake for 15-20 minutes or until rolls are golden brown




Fill ring with the lettuce, tomato, onions, olives remaining cheese, sour cream, salsa and any other toppings you'd like.   


                                                             Recipe courtesy of: Taste of Home: Winning Recipes.


I hope you all enjoy this recipe! I loved it and my girls really liked it too! My kitchen smelled amazing while it was baking. And the crescent roll is a nice break from tortillas! Have fun cooking!!!

6 comments:

Andrea said...

This looks really good :)

I have a similar recipe from a Pampered Chef cookbook, but instead of meatballs, you just brown the hamburger and then mix in the taco seasoning, water, and cheese. Its always a hit at our house!

Krista said...

This looks fantastic and very yummy! I can even see some variations like italian, or even putting like a layered bean dip in the middle for the taco meatballs.. mmm yummy!

Great job on the first post!!

OMG Triplets said...

Loooove this idea, Andria! I will be checking it often! I'm always looking for new recipes.....and since our kids are around the same age - it's perfect :) Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

It looks nice, too! I am going to try this this weekend. I am always cooking the same things. With me staying home next year...little eating out for us! :) good job cooking for your family!

Virginia said...

Andria, those look awesome!!! I'm totally trying them for super bowl weekend!

Hooray for you and your blog!!!!

Erin Stout said...

Okay now keep going b/c I don't like to cook but maybe this will motivate me!